Zucchini is fresh and readily available at this time of year! Annette Maggi, MS, RD, LD, FAND and Chief Science Officer at b-untethered shares this new fav recipe that she’s using with all the zucchini she gets from her CSA. Make a batch or two and enjoy for breakfast topped with eggs, at lunch or dinner as a side to a grilled protein, or plain as a snack.
Garden Zucchini Fritters from Wanderings in My Kitchen
3 large, grated zucchini (about 6 cups)
2 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp parsley
4 green onions thinly sliced, about ½ cup in total
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
Zest of 1 lemon
½ cup crumbled feta
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
2-3 tbsp oil
- Shred the zucchini and add to a fine mesh strainer. Add 1/2 tbsp kosher salt and stir to combine the salt and zucchini together. Let sit 10 minutes over the sink to drain, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine the garlic, parsley, green onions, salt, pepper, and lemon zest together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Once the zucchini has set for 10 minutes, press down firmly with your hands or a wooden spoon on the zucchini to drain the liquid. Do this over a large bowl or the kitchen sink. Keep pressing until you extract as much liquid as possible.
- Wrap the shredded zucchini in a kitchen towel and wring the mixture out over the sink. You should extract even more liquid at this point, about 2 cups of water.
- Add the shredded zucchini to the other ingredients in the medium mixing bowl. Stir gently to combine.
- Add the flour and cornstarch to the mixture and stir again.
- Finally, add the two beaten eggs and incorporate well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Form the zucchini fritter mixture into 8 small patties and add them to the oiled pan.
- Lightly pan fry the fritters for 4-5 minutes on one side or until golden brown. Flip and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined plate once fried and continue with the remaining mixture. Serve warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt or tzaziki sauce.
Nutrition per fritter: 90 calories, 7g carbohydrate, 1.5g fiber, 4.5g protein, 7g fat.